Conference Report--April 1983
Thomas S. Monson
1. One word, and one word only, was inscribed: "ANONYMOUS."
2. Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, TO BE SEEN OF THEM.
3. Ebenezer Scrooge exclaimed to himself, "He SHAN'T know who sends it."
4. One man who went down with the ocean liner, Lustitania, giving his life preserve to a woman though he couldn't swim was ALFRED WANDERBILT.
5. When a modern jetliner plunged into the Potomac River, a man unknown by name rescued 5 people.
6. Three examples of anonymous acts are: 1. SHOVELING SNOW FOR NEIGHBORS, 2. TAKING JACKET OFF AND PUTTING IT ON AN OLD WOMAN WHO WAS COLD, and 3. TAKING CARE OF A GRAVE (PULLING WEEDS, POLISHING HEADSTONE, ETC.).
7. In his dream, John Weightman was transported to the HEAVENLY CITY.
8. All the good...help...comfort...strength and love you bestowed upon suffering...we have built them into this MANSION for you.
9. Another lovely mansion was given to a paralyzed young woman who had lain for 30 years upon her bed...never to COMPLAIN.
10. "This is your mansion, John Weightman." It was a HUT.
11. What is it that counts here?: a. THAT TRULY GIVEN, b. THAT DONE FOR THE LOVE OF DOING IT, c. PLANS WHERE WELFARE OF OTHERS IS THE MASTER THOUGHT, and d. SACRIFICE IS GREATER THAN REWARD--GIFTS WHERE THE GIVER FORGETS HIMSELF.
12. "A bell is no bell till you...RING IT. A song is no song till you...SING IT. And love in your heart wasn't put there...TO STAY. Love isn't love till you...GIVE IT AWAY."