Located on the west end of the
first floor are the Melchizedek Priesthood pulpits.
(FROM: Community of Christ postcard)
Priesthood Pulpits, Kirtland Temple
(Post card, Community
of Christ Church)
The Melchizedek Priesthood pulpits represent the line of authority in the Melchizedek
- Across the front of the
pulpits is a folding sacrament table shaped like an oxen yoke.
The initials P.E.M. on the table stand for Presidency Elders
- The first set of pulpits
the sacrament table have the intials M.H.P. standing for Melchizedek
High Priesthood (High Priests).
- The second set of pulpits
have the initials P.M.H. and stand for Presiding Melchizedek
High Priesthood (Quorum of the Twelve)
- The last set of pulpits
have the initials M.P.C.
and represent Melchizedek
Presiding Council (First Presidency).
Pulpits and Veil
On April 3, 1836, Joseph Smith and
Oliver Cowdery dropped the veil that separated the pulplits from the
rest of the room and offered prayer. In response to that prayer,
one of the most important events of the restoration took place.
First, Jesus Christ, calling himself Jehovah, appeared. After his
appearance, Moses, Elias, and Elijah appeared committing the necessary
keys to perform temple ordinances (see D&C 110).