- Please REFRESH when opening this link.
- Includes the rubrics for the Course Review Paper as well as the Scripture Reading and Article Write-ups to be used to write the Course Paper.
Daily Schedule of Assignments
Fall 2018 Courses
- PLEASE REFRESH Everytime this link is opened as it is regularly updated-- the schedule you have been using has changed to a new format.
- Write-Up Template PDF -- This is a template that could be followed in
completing a reading assignment write-up. Each reading assignment has a main point under which there are several subpoints (the bolded sub-headings found throughout the reading). (Remember, the write-up are
the research notes you are making from which you will write about that
topic in the Course Review Paper.)
- This is an EXAMPLE of a reading assignment
write-up using the above template--from this write-up, the information
necessary to write the introduction to the Course Review Paper could
easily be written.
The Big Picture-- Course Review Paper Topics
- Topics for Course Review Essay Current to Spring 2018 (updated 9 Jul 2018)--Similar (same topics) to the one handed out in class but with a few additional clarifications.
Scriptures (the four standard works)
- Reading Assignments found on Daily Schedule of Assignments (above)
Summation of Promises Made to the Fathers
Power Points Used in Class
For Further Study For Each Topic on the Course Review Paper
1. Introduction: The Necessity for Understanding the "Big Picture"
2. The Doctrine of the Father
- Joseph Smith (1805-44) President, "King Follett Discourse" Ensign, April, May, 1971 -- PDF [THE COMPLETE AMALGAMATION OF THE DISCOURSE]
- Quinten L. Cook, "The Doctrine of the Father," Ensign, Feb. 2012, pp.
- Bruce R. McConkie, "The Nature and Ministry of God the Father," in A New Witness for the Articles of Faith (1985), pp. 58-65
- Bruce R. McConkie,"'Our Relationship With the Lord," BYU Devotional--Mar 2, 1982 in Brigham Young University 1981-82 Fireside and Devotional Speeches,
Provo: Brigham Young Unversity, 1982, pp. 97-103. (This is a sermon
about the proper worship of the Father and our relationship with Jesus
Christ who is the means of our worship of the Father.)
- Brigham Young, "Our Father in Heaven," From Discourses of Brigham Young (1978), pp. 18-25.
- Ezra Taft Benson, "Come Unto Christ," Ensign, Nov. 1987, pp. 83-85. (Teaches of the nature and character of the Father by describing the divine nature of Christ)
3. The Goal of Heavenly Father and Mother's Work and Glory
a. Heavenly Father's Work and Glory: The Goal or Object of His Plan!
- The Goal--Exaltation in the Celestial Kingdom-- is described in D&C 76:50-70, 92-96; 88:20-24; 131:1-4; [breakdown of these verses: 76:50-53--Spiritual Rebirth the first principles and ordinances of gospel; 76:54-59 and 131:1-4--heirship and celestial marriage; 76:66-67--belong to the eternal community of Zion; 76:92-95; 88:107--they are equal with God in power, might, and dominion]
- Families and the Church in God's Plan (Handbook 2: Administering the Church)
- President Thomas S. Monson, "The Race of Life," Ensign, May 2012, pp. 90-93
- Delbert L. Stapley (1896-1978) Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, "Joint Heirship With Christ," Conference Report, April 1962, pp. 65-68
- Russel M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, "Salvation and Exaltation," Ensign, May 2008, pp. 7-10
b. Everlasting Gospel and Covenant
4. The Various Roles of Jesus Christ
5. The Premortality of Mankind
- Neal A. Maxwell (1926-2004) Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, "Premorality, a Glorious Reality," Ensign, Nov., 1985, pp. 15-18 (talk delivered in general conference) -- PDF
Premortal Foreordination (including the House of Israel)
- President Harold B. Lee (1899-1973), "Understanding Who We Are Brings Self-Respect," Ensign, Jan. 1974, pp. 2-6 (talk delivered in general conference) -- PDF
- Neal A. Maxwell, "Premortality, A Glorious Reality," Ensign, Nov. 1985, pp. 15-18
- Neal A. Maxwell, "A More Determined Discipleship," Ensign, Feb. 1979, pp. 69-73 (Excellent talk on foreordination)
L. Millet and Joseph Fielding McConkie, "Israel Before the World Was,"
Our Destiny: The Call and Election of the House of Israel (1993),
- Robert L. Millet, "The House of Israel: From Everlasting to Everlasting" [A big picture review of the role of the house of Israel from premortality, through mortality and millennium.]
6. The Purpose of Mortality
7. Creation of the Earth and Man; the Fall of Adam
The Fall of Adam
8. The Patriarchal Age
Overview of Priesthood and Kingdom of God through Patriarchal Age and Beyond
The Establishment of the Everlasting Gospel and Covenant (in the Days of Adam)
The Establishment of the Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of the Devil
9. "The Promises Made to the Fathers": Abrahamic Covenant
- Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, "Thanks for the Covenant," Perfection Pending , pp. 199-212
- Russel M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, "Children of the Covenant," Ensign, May 1995, pp. 32-34
- Orson F. Whitney of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, "A Chosen People," from Gospel Themes: A Treatise on Salient Features of Mormonism (1914), pp. 141-148
- Bruce R. McConkie of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, "Promises Made to the Fathers"
- S. Michael Wilcox, "The Abrahamic Covenant," Ensign, Jan. 1998
10. Ancient Israel: The Beginning of the Fulfillment of the Abrahamic Covenant
Moses and the First Gathering and Restoration of Israel
to be a "light to the nations of the world" (national covenant at
Shechem, the period of the Judges, the Monarchy, and Divided Kingdom)
The Ministry of Elijah
9. Jesus and The Meridian of Time: The Ministry and Atonement of Jesus Christ
The Ministry of John the Baptist
The Ministry of Jesus Christ
- D. Todd Christofferson, "Why the Church," Ensign, Nov. 2016, pp. 108-11
- Russel M. Nelson, "The Mission and Ministry of Jesus Christ," Ensign, Apr 2013, pp. 32-39
- Russell M. Nelson, "Why this Holy Land," Ensign, Dec 1989, pp. 12-18
10. The Gospel Taken to the Gentiles
Revelation to Peter that the Gospel Should Be Taken to the Gentiles
The Apostle Paul [Saul]: "The Apostle of the Gentiles" (Rom. 11:13)
12. The Dispensation of the Fulness of Times: Preparing a People for the Millennium
Restoration of the Kingdom of God (Zion)--Ist Phase of the Gathering of Israel
- Erastus Snow (1818-88), Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, "The Purpose of the Scattering and Gathering of Israel," Journal of Discourses , 26 vols., 23:180-188 [Excellent discourse on how the scattering and gathering of Israel is fulfilling the Abrahamic Covenant. I HIGHLY recommend this talk.].
Articles Regarding the Restoration of the Political Side of the Kingdom of God on Earth
- Richard Neitzel Holzaphel, "The Prophet's Final Charge to the Twelve, 1844," in Ed.s Richard Neitzel Holzapfel and Kent P. Jackson, Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer,
ed. (Provo, UT: Religious Studies Center, Brigham Young
University; Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 2010), pp. 495–524. [Includes discussion of the restoration and establishment of what might be called the political side of the kingdom of God called the Council of the Kingdom or the Council of Fifty in preparation of the millennial reign of Jesus Christ.]
The Kingdom Expands Throughout the World--2nd Phase of the Gathering of Israel
- David A Bednar, "The Spirit and Purposes of Gathering," BYU-Idaho Devotion associated with the ground breaking ceremonies of the BYU-Idaho Center
- Boyd K. Packer, "The Gathering," in Refuge from a Storm (2014), pp. 172-182. (From an address given at the seminar for new mission presidents in 2006.) PDF
- John Thomas, " 'Take the Temples to the People'," in Out of Obscurity: The LDS Church in the Twentieth Century," , pp. 321-338.
(Bro. Thomas is a facultly member in the Department of Religious
Education at Brigham Young University--Idaho.)
- Russell M. Nelson, "Becoming True Millennials," Worldwide Devotional for Young Adults, Jan. 10, 2016, at Brigham Young University-Hawaii
- Spencer W. Kimball, Becoming the Pure in Heart, Ensign, May 1978, pp. 79-81
- Spencer W. Kimball, " 'And the Lord Called His People Zion,' " Ensign, Aug. 1984, pp. 2-6
- William O. Nelson, "To Prepare a People," Ensign, Jan 1979, pp. 18-23
13. The Millennium
-- 3rd Phase of the Gathering of Israel--Zion is Perfected
- Robert L. Millet, "The House of Israel: From Everlasting to Everlasting" [A
very Big Picture Article: deals with the House of Israel from
premortality, scattering and gathering, in the dispensation of fulness
of times, and throughout the millennium]
- "The Millennium," in Doctrine and Covenants Reference Companion [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 2012], pp. 403-405 (A discussion of what the revelations found in the Doctrine and Covenants teaches regarding the Millennium.)