The Smith Frame House
(Photo taken by Bruce Satterfield)
While the Smith family lived in the log house, Alvin, at least a year before his death in November 1823, begun building a frame house on the farm the Smith farm. The house was completed in the spring of 1825. The Smith's lived in the frame house from the spring of 1825 until the fall of 1829 when they lost the farm.
The Smith's were
living at the time Joseph Smith brought the gold plates upon which the
Book of Mormon was written from the Hill Cumorah. For
safekeeping, the plates were placed under the bricks of a hearth in the
here to see hearths).