Mountain and Temple Articles Regarding Mountain and Temples
- "1. Temple and Mountain" in Chapter III The Temple: Place of Yahweh's [Jehovah] Presence and Shpere of Life in Othmar Keel, The Symbolism of the Biblical World: Ancient Near Eastern Iconography and the Book of Psalms (1997), pp. 144-155)
- "Mountains," Encycolpedia of Religion, Vol 10:130-134
- Edwin Bernbaum, "Sacred Mountains: Themes and Teachings," Mountain Research and Development, Nov. 2006:304-309
- Mircea Eliade, "Sky Symbolism," in Patterns in Comparative Religion
, pp. 99-111 [Though the general theme of this chapter is
the Sky, mountain and its meaning is discussed in relationship to the
- Mircea Eliade, "The Center of the World," in The Sacred and the Profane: The Nature of Religion , pp. 36-42
- Richard J. Clifford, "The Temple and the Holy Mountain," in Ed. Truman G. Madsen, The Temple in Antiquity (1984) pp. 107-24
- E. John Hamlin, "The Meaning of 'Mountain and Hills'," Journal of Near Eastern Studies, Vol 13, No. 3 (Jul., 1954), pp. 185-190
- Michael W. Master, "Mountain Temples and Temple-Mountains: Masrur," Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians, Vol. 65, No. 1 (Mar., 2006), pp. 26-49
- I. W. Mabbett, "Symbolism of Mount Meru," History of Religions, Vol. 23, No. 1 (Aug., 1983), pp. 64-83
- Johan Reinhard, "Sacred Mountains: An Ethno-Archaeological Study of High Andean Ruins," Mountain Research and Development, Vol. 5, No. 4 (Nov., 1985), pp. 299-317
- Linda Schele and Peter Matthews, "Pyramid-Mountains and Plaza-Seas," in The Code of the Kings (1998), pp. 13-61.(Discusses both Symbolism of architecture and sculpture.)
- John M. Lundquist, "Borobudur: The Top Plan and the Upper Terraces," East and West, Vol. 45, No. 1/4 (Dec. 1995), pp. 283-304.
- Gregory J. Wightman, "The Sacred Mountain: Mesopotamia and Elam," in Sacred Spaces: Religious Architecture in the Ancient World (2007), pp. 1-65.