Sacred Space and Time Articles Relative to Space
Articles Relative to Sacred Time (In General)
- "Sacred Space," in Mirdea Eliade, Patterns in Comparative Religion (1958), pp. 367-385
- Sacred and the Profane, The,"In Encyclopedia of Religion,15 vols., Ed. Mircea Eliade.
- Avram R. Shannon, " 'Come Near Unto Me': Guarded Space and Its Mediators in the Jerusalem Temple," in Ascending the Mountain of the Lord: Temple, Praise, and Worship in the Old Testament,
Ed. by David R. Seely, Jeffrey R. Chadwick, and Matthew Grey (2013),
pp. 66-84. [The focus of this paper is sacred space of the temple built by Solomon.]
- Donald W. Parry, "Demarcation Between Sacred Space and Profane Space: the Temple of Herod Model," in Ed. Donald W. Parry, Temples of the Ancient World: Ritual and Symbolism (1994), pp. 413-439. [Excellent article for both defining sacred space and exemplifying sacred space within the temple complex built by Herod the Great.]
- "Identity and Meaning," in G. J. Wightman, Sacred Spaces: Religious Architecture in the Ancient World
(2007), pp. 898-928. [This is from a book that
dislcusses temple architecture throughout the ancient world. The
last few chapters, including this one, focueses on meaning to temple
architecture: the creation of sacred space. More particularly, starting
on page 915, sacred space is discussed.]
- Catherine L. Albanese, "The Multi-Dimensional Mandala: A Study in the Interiorization of Sacred Space," Numen, Vol. 24, Fasc. 1 (Apr., 1977), pp. 1-25. (But also see Sonit Bafna, "On the Idea of the Mandala as a Governing Device in Indian Architectural Tradition," Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians, Vol. 59, No. 1 (Mar., 2000), pp. 26-49.)
- "Sacred Time," in Encyclopedia of Religion, 15 vols., Ed. Mircea Eliade, (1987), 12:535-544.
- Mircea Eliade, "Sacred Time and Myths," in The Sacred and Profane: The Nature of Religion (1959), pp. 68-113.
Bibliography of Sacred Space
- "Sacred Space," in A Biblography of Temples of the Ancient Near East and Mediterraneam World, comp. Donald W. Parry, Stephen D. Ricks, and John W. Welch (1991)